» all rider blogs 

Kyle Wyman   » rider bio

Birth date February 20, 1990
Birth place Rochester, New York
Hometown Macedon, New York
Height 5-8
Weight 133
Website Visit Now
Facebook Kyle Wyman's Facebook page
Twitter Kyle Wyman's Twitter page

Kyle Wyman Blog - All for Grandpa Harv

NEWS July 22, 2014

Kyle Wyman Blog - All for Grandpa Harv

Photo by Brian J Nelson

July 16, 2014 - It’s hard to believe that the season is really almost over. With us just finishing up with Laguna, and the next round at Mid-Ohio this coming weekend, we’re now only 3 races away from a complete 2014 season. My weekend in Alabama was full of adversity - I finished eleventh in both Daytona Sportbike races, and crashed out of the Harley-Davidson race. It was a tough two-day event and I was looking forward to a couple weeks off before heading out west to California.

On the Wednesday after I got home from Alabama, my Grandfather, Harv Rousseau, passed away. It was a pretty sudden blow to our family. Harv started the motorcycle dealership, Harv’s Harley-Davidson, and he had been my biggest fan throughout my entire racing career. My Mom has been running the dealership since 1989, and the company has sculpted our family and influenced our passion for motorcycles and racing. Those next couple weeks that I was looking forward to turned into a pretty busy time, and we celebrated my Grandfather’s life with a motorcycle-led service that he would have been proud of.

The busyness elevated itself to a new level when I started noticing an issue with my right knee. I have had various problems with my right leg over the past few years, mostly stemming from an incident I had in 2009 at Daytona when I lost the brakes, fortunately being saved by the air-fence. I broke most of the bones in my lower leg that year, and finally some cartilage was coming loose and jamming itself in my knee joint.

I called my PT therapist, Tuan Nuygen from TKB Sports Medicine in Morgan Hill, CA who helped me diagnose it, and said I needed to come out and have arthroscopic surgery as soon as I could to get rid of the debris.
The earliest they could get me in was that following Tuesday - just two days before I was on track at Laguna Seca.

I went out, had the surgery at the hands of Dr. Maury Harwood, and was sent on my way. The first 24-hours I thought I was a goner. I thought for sure I would be sitting on the sidelines at Laguna watching my competitors race alongside the WSBK series, but apparently they knew more than I did. After a couple days of therapy they had my leg back to what it needed to be, and just in the nick of time. I would say by the first practice session my knee was at 65%.

It improved throughout the first day, and by Saturday morning it felt good enough to push through the Monterey fog and put my Millennium Technologies XR1200 on the front row for the race that afternoon. I was running a special competition number that weekend, #11, which was my Grandpa Harv’s number when he was racing cars in the 1940’s. I wanted to get on the podium with the #11 that day, and that’s what we ended up with in the race.

I can’t thank Tuan and Dr. Harwood enough for taking such good care of me, and believing that I could be out there racing. I’m grateful for my sponsors, family and friends who stay behind me through the ups and downs, and can’t wait to get to Mid-Ohio this weekend for another shot with a knee that’s 100%.

Thanks for reading.

blog comments powered by Disqus
  • Vance and Hines