AMSOIL EBR pro Yates logs season-best result in finale

NEWS September 30, 2013

AMSOIL EBR pro Yates logs season-best result in finale

Photo by Brian J Nelson

Courtesy of Geiger Media:

MONTEREY, Calif. (Sept. 29, 2013) - Aaron Yates saved his best finish of the season aboard his AMSOIL/Hero EBR for last, coming home in fifth Sunday in the National Guard SuperBike race at Laguna Seca, the final stop in the GEICO Motorcycle AMA Pro Road Racing Series.

"It feels really good to finally break that top five," Yates said. "I had a good race, but you always hope it goes a little better. I knew when it would get close to 'go time,' we'd settle in and have a decent race.

"We had a few little things hold us back in qualifying or we would have made even more progress."

Yates got a clean start to the race and immediately started to battle for a spot in the top three.

"We ran out of side grip on the tire earlier than expected," Yates said. "I worked the brakes really hard racing with David Anthony and Chris Clark early on. The bike worked well. We were able to push hard and get around them.

"I just couldn't quite get around the track quick enough to fight Larry Pegram and Chris Fillmore for third place. Still, we got a better result than the last time we were here, so that made us happy."

After chasing gremlins during qualifying, Yates was happy with the way the team hung in there and gave him a solid bike on race day.

"The bike worked good and ran good," Yates said. "My AMSOIL EBR was going pretty good for me today. I've been able to go right to my lap times. The track temp came up on us a little this morning and slowed us down. We've got more work to do in the offseason, but we're getting better."

Yates ends the season eighth in the standings. His teammate Team Hero/AMSOIL EBR rider Geoff May finished ninth after having a horrible final day.

It was one catastrophe after another for May on race day after having such a strong start to the weekend.

"This morning's warm-up was wonderful," May said. "I went out there on used tires working on race setup and ran P3 and was looking really strong for the race. But I had a freak accident with two minutes left in warm-up doing a practice start.

"The bike put me on the ground, took my foot and ankle into the swingarm and tried to rip my foot off. I was worried about even being able to ride again. Thankfully, my physical therapist was here and kept me moving and kept me loose."

The bad luck continued following the parade lap.

"We were on the grid and the bike wouldn't start," said May, who was credited with a 16th-place finish. "Once we finally got it going, I could tell it wasn't running right. I brought it in, but we weren't ready with the backup bike. So it was game over right then and there.

"It was as bad as a day could go without ending up in the hospital."

blog comments powered by Disqus
  • Vance and Hines