About AMA Pro SuperSport
- Engine Displacement: 600cc – 675cc – 848cc – 990cc – 1000cc – 1125cc
- Horsepower: 110 hp to 130 hp
- Minimum Weights: 4 cylinders – 355 lbs.; 3 cylinders – 360 lbs.; 2 cylinders – 375 lbs.
- Top Speed: 165 MPH
- 0-60 MPH: 3 seconds
- ¼ Mile Acceleration: 10 seconds
- Tires: Dunlop SportMax GPA Front (120/70R-17) and Rear (190/55ZR-17)
- Race Lengths: 35-mile sprints
- Eligible Bikes: Aprilia RSV1000R/RSV1000R Factory, Buell 1125R, Ducati 848, Honda CBR600RR/CBR600RR ABS, Kawasaki ZX-6R, KTM 990 Super Duke, Suzuki GSX-R600, Triumph Daytona 675/675R, Yamaha YZF-R6
AMA Pro SuperSport is AMA Pro Road Racing’s showcase of America’s future motorcycle racing stars today and the class often puts on some of the most exciting racing action at each event. This proving ground class is designed for up-and-coming riders to compete on sport bikes that are only minimally modified from what can be found at a Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda or other motorcycle dealership.
The same motorcycles that are featured in the AMA Pro GoPro Daytona SportBike division are eligible in AMA Pro SuperSport and although they are allowed less modifications, the top speeds for competing bikes still reach in excess of 165 mph. As in all AMA Pro Road Racing classes, Sunoco fuels all race bikes and Dunlop and its proven racing tires are the series-standard application in SuperSport. Competitors must use original equipment wheels and braking systems, with alternate brake pads or discs the only change allowed.
Unlike in previous seasons, the class will be contested as a single National championship in 2014. Additionally, a special award will be presented to the highest-scoring 16- to 18-year-old rider in the class.
The SuperSport class was designed to be a great place for rising stars to hone their skills as they prepare to advance up the ladder of professional road racing. Many of the riders that have ascended to the ranks of GoPro Daytona SportBike and eventually AMA Pro SuperBike show promise right away, proving that they have gained the competitive edge needed to compete as they ascend the ranks.